Bubblr explainer video

Do you need a custom animation for your latest project ? Amplify love animation!

Last week we completed a piece of work for one of our clients (bubblr) and thought we would run down how we achieved it in our blog.

Animation is a fantastic medium for showing off your product, and with the increase in computing power and broadband speeds, hi-definition animation is in the reach of any competent design studio. A good animation can show a product concept off far more effectively then any presentation or static web page ever could, and it will reinforce your brand’s excellence much quicker then most other mediums.

The brief was to create an “explainer” video for a new app (launching imminently), that had to be snappy, modern, and not use a voice over for the message delivery. Oh, and we had less then a week to produce it. Always up for a challenge, we accepted and started to put together the finished product you see below.

Once we had the app installed we quickly went about the process of storyboarding a simple explainer. The Bubblr app really is a very simple, but brilliant app; however the devil was in the detail. We put a rough storyboard together and then planned our approach…

A number of assets were created, primarily in Adobe Illustrator, and then these were all imported into Adobe After Effects for the main animation. We worked on the opening sequence first because it presented us a neat challenge – how to animate popping bubbles using a relatively flat design schema.

After following some interesting tutorial material we came up with the bubble popping animation for the opening sequence and the strap-line “Your news, delivered” which we all felt was simple, punchy, and yet descriptive enough to work in isolation.

We then set the main stage, again using simple flat assets, and created the “steaming coffee cup” animation. Once the stage was fully set, we started to animated the other assets over the stage.

Once the animation had been completed to match the storyboard, and various client edits had been added, we needed to add a bouncy soundtrack. We fired up protools and took a simple guitar chord sequence and looped it, then added live bass guitar and midi keyboards. After about 15 takes we had the perfect soundtrack so threw it back into After Effects and rendered out the finished video.